A cinematic technique that uses misdirection to lead to an ending that is at first glance completely unexpected or contradictory, but is coherent and reasonable given hindsight and careful observation of the clues presented.
Classic examples include “Memento”, “The Usual Suspects”, "Fight Club", and “The Sixth Sense”.
A betrayalaton is a videogame industry announcement or rumor similar to a megaton, but more specific in that it involves an highly valuable exclusive game, game series, or gaming company switching platforms or going multiplatform.
Examples of betrayalatons include:
- A rumor that Konami is porting Metal Gear Solid 4 (a PS3 exclusive) to the xbox 360.
- A rumor that Square-Enix is porting Final Fantasy XIII (a PS3 exclusive) to the xbox 360.
- Capcom porting Devil May Cry 4 (formerly a PS3 exclusive) to the xbox 360.
- Namco porting Ace Combat 6 (formerly a PS3 exclusive series) to the xbox 360.
- Sega porting Virtual Fighter 5 (formerly a PS3 exclusive) to the xbox 360.
"Capcom just confirmed that Devil May Cry 4 is coming out for xbox 360. Betrayalaton!! PS3 d00m3d!"